Saturday, December 13, 2008

A Tropical Island And A Full Moon Party...

So I met up with Mark and Simon one last time. I made the jounrey from Airlie Beach to Townsville and then onward ot Magnetic Island. I'm really gald I did go, as despite the unbearable heat (its one of the sunniest places in Oz - an average of 340 days of pure sunshine each year!) it is a really beautiful part of the world...

I only really had one day there, and had planned to rent a mountain bike and explore the island. As is always the case with these things, they never quite go to plan, and due to tempertaures in the mid 30's....sitting by the pool seemed a much more appealing option. I did go for a little walk (mostly to escape the very scary German diving instructor who had commandered the pool and theretend to kick Mark in the gut if he got in her way...).

The eveing was a full moon party - something Magnetic Island is famous for - and the way Mark chose to celebrate his 23rd birthday! So far removed from anyway I would initially choose to spend an evening - but am really glad I did as turned out to be a lot of fun, and a great way to spend a final night with Mark and Simon in Oz.

So I made it to my final stop in Oz - Cairns. It feels kinda odd to be in a big town again after spending so long in small seaside towns. The heat here is truly unbearable - have never really experienced anything like it before, but luckily theres a big public lagoon by the sea (you cant swim in the sea as there are too many things in it that might kill you!) that is the perfect place to cool down from the 85% humidity and 35 degree heat....

Off into the rainforest tomorrow for a couple of days which should be a lot of fun!

Rich
xxx

No comments: