Saturday, October 18, 2008

And All That Jazz...

A week in Chicago!

I did try to refrain from singing too many musical theatre songs...

So Josh was another American that I Drove Helicopter Style with this Summer, and him bieng the recipient of the Zoolander award and all, how could I not pay him a visit. Problem 1; he was on tour with the Latino dance company he lighting designs for when I was due to arrive...however therein comes solution 1; his amazing, awesome and wonderful housemate Drew and friends who put me up, and showed me round the city last weekend while he wasn't there. Had a brilliant time, and was quite upset that Josh came back to ruin it all....! Did all the very touristy stuff, (the bean is a highlight to entertain even the most sceptical of tourist..) in the freakishly warm October weather. To be shown the sights by a local was a real treat. In the evening another of Josh's friends Chelsea, who is a designer/prop maker arranged free tickets for a performance of Eurydice, which was really wonderful. The evning beckoned and we sampled the Chicago nightlife......more stories to tell in private should you wish to know.....my Mother does read this blog after all.....

Josh and his girlfriend Kay arrived back on Sunday night, and we spent the evening sitting outside in the warm, reminding ourselevs of the crazy summer we spent in Edinburgh. Again, I've not even known Josh 6 months, but it felt so good and natural to catch up, and he and all his friends have been so welcoming.

Monday night football was a highlight, although Josh, I must profess to still not having a clue as to what the hell was going on....

Tuesday was a visit to the Art Institue...and I fulfilled an ambition of seeing for real the Georges Seurat painitng that inspired Sunday In The Park With George (my favourite musical, for those who didn't know, and the basis for my 10,000 word final year dissertation....geeeek!!) Other highlights included sampling Chicago deep pan pizza (basically just a mozarella pie..mmmmm!!) and basking in the sun by Lake Michigan (whose size, as it happens, I still cannot get my head around...it's huuuuge).

So, on Thursday after an awesome week, I bounded on to another Greyhound bus, for perhaps the most surreal three days of my life...

Next installment to come soon....

Rich
xxx

No comments: