Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Yosemite National Park

A quick update on what I've been up to....

I spent the first half of this week on a hiking trip in Yosemite National Park. After spending the last month and a half in cities, I was totally ready to be in the country for a while..

I was picked up from the hostel early, however as I boarded the bus - my first thought was - they are all old! (I mean like in their 60's...) The guide book had promised me this was a tour for young people!! Soon however a few more young-un's were picked up, (a Ducth, a Kiwi...not sure what the punchline is..!?), we stuck together, and the oldies turned out to be not bad company after all..... It was a 2 1/2 hour drive out from San Fransisco to the park, and the scenery gets progressively more exciting the further inland you go.

Yosemite Valley itself is just truly stunning - there's just nothing like I've ever seen before. The sheer scale and size of the park itself, and the mountains is unrivalled by anything in Europe I have experienced before. It's difficult to put into words really, so I'm not going to try - but will post some photo's as soon as I can. The perefect place to practise my slowly advancing photography skills, and watch yet again, some truly glorious sunsets...(how many travel cliches in one paragraph!??)

On the second day we hiked to the top of Taft point, a stunning viewpoint of the entire valley, about 7300 feet above sea level (even some of the oldies made it!) that offered some of the most breathtaking views I have ever seen. Again - will try and post some pictures as soon as I can!

After a good couple of days of walking (could have done more, and would love to go back and do some more exploring and further hiking) I treated myself to an an evening of the spa and sauna at the hostel, which was brilliantly relaxing and the perefect way to end a really great trip.

No comments: