Sunday, November 16, 2008

Sydney And The Blue Mountains

Goodness! What a week, just realised I'd become rather slack at keeping this thing updated, and as I'm sitting waiting for HOURS for the travel agent to get a move on, thought I'd use the time wisely...if anyone out there is still interested in where I am!

So, I made it to Sydney last Saturday. Unfortunately on arrival I realised that yet again I'd managed to book myself into a rather grim hostel (I use the word 'hostel' lightly...doss house/skank pit could be a more accurate description). Was put in a room with several people who had been living there for 6 months; and it looked like they hadn't washed in that time either. Ah well, it was just going to be a place to rest my head, and gave me even more excuse to spend as much time out and about in this magnificent city as I could.

I spent the first couple of days wandering around the city, and sampling all there is to see. Made it on a tour of the Opera House (Adam our tour guide was nothing coompared to your NT masterpiece Rach..), a trip to the Aquarium, the Botanical Gardens..all the very touristy stuff...and lots more photos to prove it!

Tuesday was spent on Bondi - its a real iconic place, and every bit as cool as they say. My white, not very toned chest did gets its first beach outing, and I made it into the sea for those big Ozzie waves! The day ended with a much brighter shade of red than is natural for the tops of ones feet...(missed area with the suncream!) but some swiftly purchased aftersun soon sorted that out...

I was determined to see some kind of show inside the Opera House, having not been to the theatre since Chicago - but I think the opera tickets were a little out of a travellers league. I did however managed to get an under 27's ticket for a production in the Playhouse Theatre - a modern reworking of Titus Andronicus. Lots of blood and Shakespeare in Ozzie accents!!

I also had a chance to catch up with a few friends here, Emily (a total blast from the past) who I used to do YTW with is living over here now, so had a great opportunity to have a good old natter - we spent Sunday afternoon in Newtown at a v.cool music festival.

I also caught up with Mark for a drink, who had been in New Zealand. He's headed up the coast now, but I may catch them up later on for his birthday at the start of December!

It's a shame I made it to Sydney at this late stage in my travels, I can entirely see that its a brillaint city, with an excellent vibe - but 10 weeks or so walking round big cities I've really been craving some solitary beaches and countryside. On Saturday morning I headed up into the Blue Mountains for the weekend, and am so glad I made the trip, as I had a really great few days.

On Saturday afternoon I did a 5k hike into the valley and through the rainforest, and on Sunday I went on a longer 10k hike up to the ruined castle (lots of rocks - splendid views..!) and again back into the valley and through some more rainforest. A hot shower upon my return, a wonderful dinner, one of the most chocolatey hot chocolates I've ever tasted, a beer or two and some good chat with other travellers made for a couple of really chilled and fun nights. I feel really refreshed - and ready to head on up the coast!

Rich
xxx

No comments: